Many customers and cyclists ask the question before purchase: were the wheels tested properly, do they meet European quality standards??
In this article we try to answer this important question.
First of allI have to stress that CARBON-PRO wheels are made of Japanese TORAY carbon fiber, as the picture taken in the factory shows.
On this picture you can see how many layers of carbon fibre they use to acieve the adequate stiffness on the rims. 35 layers carbon fiber at the spoke holes and the carbon rimgets 9 layersof Toray carbon fibre! And all that work is done by hand,this is why the carbon rim prices can not go lower. Toray carbon fibre from Japan is the best quality on erarth!
For a responsible carbon rim manufacturer, before they put a rim into bulk production, they will always do samples for testing first.
The carbon wheels testing includes the following testibg methods:
1. the spoke hole tension testing to make sure the rim is strong enough for building without a crack.
2. lateral stiffness testing to make sure the rim will not break when having force from the lateral direction.
3. vertical stiffness testing to make sure the rim will not break when having force from the vertical direction.
4. vertical destructive testing to make sure the rims (after building with hubs/spokes and tires) will not crack under a certain impact force.
5. braking testing. this is the most testing for road rims, but this testing is quite complicated. because this has big relations to what brake pads you are using.
In the case of CARBON-PRO carbon wheels these tests have been carried out before the producer starts bulk production.
However, I have to say that all the testing is done in the factory with the factorie's own equipment.
The producer is just as afraid to have quality issues as you are!
If there would be "bulk" problems with the products after purchase that would mean catastrophic consequencies for the producer.
Now we are negotiating with a producer which has got SGS and CE quality certificate.